How to replace your basement windows
If the windows in your basement are broken, you have to make sure that you get them fixed right away. In case the entire window is broken, you would most certainly have to replace the entire window.
Of course, there are times when the basement windows are in fine condition, but people just want to get them replaced, for the sake of remodeling, reducing drafts and saving on fuel costs. No matter what the cause, in case you have decided to remodel the basement windows, you would have to make a toughdecision.
Do you call the professional to do the task for you? Or do you do it yourself?
Of course, a professional would have a clear idea about how to replace the window. You usually don’t even have to go out of your way to find a contractor to do the job for you. If you are buying your replacement windows from Home Depot or Lowe’s, you will be able to ask them to send an installer to your house. Or you could personally hire an installer to do the job for you. It would cost you money (getting an installer to install a window costs about $99 at Lowe’s), but your window would have been installed by aprofessional and hence, steady.
On the other hand, it is not that tough a task for one to replace the windows in one’s basement. You will be able to do the task yourself- provided you are patient. All you have to do is follow the instructions to the T. By installing basement windows on your own, you will certainly be saving a lot of money and learning something new as well.
Here are some steps that will prepare you to replace the basement windows. You might not be able to do all the activities mentioned in these steps on your own, so keep somebody around to assist you.
1. Measure the window before you make the purchase. Even if your basement window does not meet the general window measurements, you will be able to provide the company with the custom measurements. It is necessary for these windows to fit perfectly in the sill. This will prevent any gaps or any lack of space when the window does arrive.
2. This is the only chance you are going to get to clean this area as properly as you can, so go ahead and do it. Having a clean sill will make it easier for you to install a window. You can just clean the sill with the help of a brush or an old cloth.
3. Take the new molding and put it around the window opening. Then, take the replacement basement windows and push them into place, from outside.
4. When installing the window, chances are that you will see a half inch gap on the sill. Do not panic- that is perfectly normal.
5. Once you have slid the window into place and you are sure that the window fits, start caulking.
6. You should find some instructions about where the caulk should be placed on the brochures or the guide that you received along with the window.
7. Once you have gone through the guide and found out where to place the caulk, prepare and actually place the caulk in the necessary areas mentioned.
8. Once the caulk has been placed, just put the window in the right area.
9. After this, you might want to level your replacement basement windows. In order to do the same, you would have to use shims. The specific instructions regarding the same would be mentioned in the guide for this is a process that is specific to the window.
10. In order to finish, place caulk outside the window so that the window will shield your house from water and air leakage in the future.
As you can see, it is quite easy for a person to install replacement basement windows. Once again, this is a job that requires patience, so it would be wise for you to have somebody around for both company andassistance. You will certainly be able to save a lot of money thanks to the same.
Once you have chosen the right basement replacement windows, follow the above mentioned steps. If you wish, you could see some instructional videos on YouTube and other such channels to get a clear idea about how to actually caulk or shim the windows.