How much do replacement windows cost?
Window replacement is one of the most important home renovation aspects all homeowners would have to take care of someday or the other.
There are a lot of homeowners who do not want to replace the windows in their house because it is just too much work and it might cost quite a bit of money. But they do not realize that this would certainly help them make a difference in their house. It would increase the resale value as well.
Of course, price is a huge restraint when shopping for anything. Actually, the price would be determined homeowner’s personal choices and the kind of windows they already have at home. Here are some of the most important factors that can affect how often you should replace your windows and how much that would cost.
1. Why are you replacing the window? There are some people who do that every few years, to ensure that their windows are sturdy and unharmed. There are some that just do it when they are already undertaking a large home renovation project- like if they were tearing down a wall or redecorating an entire house. Think about how often you want to replace your windows. If you are planning on doing this every few years, it would be safe for you to opt for windows that are a little on the cheaper range (these windows might not last decades, but you don’t need them to).
2. Are you replacing the entire frame or just the window? If you are planning on tearing down the wall, or if the frame has rotted, it will be necessary for you to replace the entire frame. The frame would cost quite a bit, depending on the material used (wood, steel, etc.) and also on the quality of the material. However, if only the seals on your windows have failed or if the pane has cracked, you would just have to replace the glass panes. This saves a lot of money and effort.
3. What brand are you going to choose? Some of the most famous window replacement brands are Pella, Andersen, etc. These are incredibly famous for their replacement windows. There are some Unbranded windows that might interest you, but in case you are not planning on replacing your window for a long period of time, it would be better for you to opt for one of these branded replacement windows. Depending on the glasses and frames you are looking for and the brand you choose, the window might cost as little as $20 or as high as $1200!
4. The type of house you want to renovate would also make a difference in the pricing of the window and the installation of the same. Old houses are different in construction- the very window sill in your house might be quite different from the way windows sills are currently built. In order to make the most out of it, you would have to get somebody from the window installation or replacement company to come and check your house. They will be able to provide you with information about the kind of window you should buy and how much the same would cost.
5. The kind of window you choose to get can make a lot of difference. There are awning windows, bay windows, single hung windows, double hung windows, etc. All of these look different and are different in the purpose served as well. Single hung windows might be considered the cheapest to replace but even that would depend on the place from which you are buying the same. Bay windows and skylights are quite large, so they would cost a lot of money to replace.
6. Whether you choose an installer to come home and replace all those windows for you would make a large difference in the amount of money you spend replacing windows. Keep in mind that there are a lot of windows, so you might not be able to replace all of them on your own- no matter how skilled you are. You would certainly need a professional if you are changing the entire frame or if you are replacing more than 4 or 5 panes. Depending on where you live, how many windows there are to install and the amount of work involved, the price of hiring a window installer can be anywhere between $50- $500 or more
These are just some of the basic factors that will allow you to guesstimate how much your window replacement would cost. To check the price of individual windows, check the websites of replacement window companies, for that will give you a fair idea of the cost. If you are replacing all the windows in your house, chances are that the total amount would come up to $8000- $10000.