When it comes to buying replacement windows for homes, vinyl is the most sought after.
This same popularity has resulted in the market being flooded with vinyl replacement windows and this makes it imperative that you make the right choice.
If you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of vinyl windows, you will be in a position to select the best vinyl replacement windows for your home.
Best Vinyl Replacement Windows Features and Pros
It goes without saying that vinyl is very popular because of its price. Compared to other materials, vinyl replacement windows are cheap and relatively inexpensive. This allows homeowners to change all the windows without feeling the pinch.
Quality vinyl replacement windows are maintenance-free and do not require painting. Also, homeowners do not have to worry about rotting unlike wood replacement windows.
Vinyl replacement windows are known for their outstanding insulating properties. They can help keep your home warm in winters and cool in summers. This property of the windows helps save you money when it comes to heating or cooling your home. Basically, vinyl replacement windows can make your home more energy efficient.
The vinyl replacement windows are durable, available in a range of colors, shapes, sizes and designs to suit all tastes and budgets.
Best Vinyl Replacement Windows Complaints and Cons
Vinyl replacement windows are also plagued with certain complaints and disadvantages that you should be aware of. This will allow you to see whether the pros outweigh the cons. If yes, it will be a worthwhile investment. Otherwise, you would have to look at other replacement window materials.
- As vinyl is not as strong as other materials, it is necessary to make the frames thick. This can reduce the amount of glass that is present in the window. This can have an impact on the amount of natural light coming in through the window and also affect your view.
- While vinyl replacement windows are generally durable, cheap replacement windows are unable to withstand extreme heat or cold. This causes the vinyl to warp and crack.
- Vinyl windows come in different colors and this same feature means you are stuck with the color you purchase a few years ago, as you cannot paint vinyl replacement windows.
- Dark-colored frames have a tendency to fade over a period of time, giving the windows a dull and shabby appearance.
- Compared to fiberglass and wood replacement windows, vinyl replacement windows are not as energy efficient.
- As vinyl replacement windows tend to get warped or cracked in extreme cold or heat, it makes these windows less airtight over a period of time.
- It is not necessary that vinyl replacement windows will increase the value of your home. So you should not be looking to replace windows for this purpose.
Top Vinyl Replacement Windows Prices and Value
In general, the best vinyl replacement windows cost anywhere from $200 to $700 per window, based on the size, style, glass type and other features you are opting for the window. Some of the best vinyl replacement windows are available from manufacturers like Pella, Andersen and Marvin. In fact, Pella has a high-end series of windows that costs more than $1,000 for each installed window!
There are some more manufacturers that are not as well-known but offer vinyl replacement windows. You may want to check these manufacturers too, as they sell low to mid-priced vinyl replacement windows. Two manufacturers that are known for the quality and performance of their vinyl replacement windows are CertainTeed and Survivor.
When it comes to choosing the best vinyl replacement windows for your home, it is necessary for you to check the features. While price plays an important role in replacement window selection, you should not let price dictate your choice. You should be looking for vinyl replacement windows that are aesthetically pleasing, make your home more energy efficient, are durable and have a good contractor to fit them correctly.
These should be more important compared to price. Remember, the key to enjoying the advantages of the best vinyl replacement windows is to ensure that the windows are installed properly and there are not gaps or crevices to make the windows less airtight and energy efficient.